Creating a healthier, better connected Gippsland.

Carbon monoxide poisoning – Health Alert – Advisory 27 April 2022

Status: Active

Date issued: 27 April 2022

Issued by: Dr Angie Bone, Deputy Chief Health Officer (Environment)

Issued to: Health professionals and the community

Key messages

  • Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas. It is a combustion product made by burning substances such as petroleum products (eg. gas, oil, kerosene, diesel, petrol), wood and tobacco.
  • Very high levels of carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness, seizures and death.
  • Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are non-specific and can be mistaken for flu-like illness or food poisoning. Symptoms may include headache, nausea and vomiting, skin flushing, muscle pain, weakness, shortness of breath, dizziness, coordination difficulties, confusion, or chest pain.
  • Sources of carbon monoxide may include:
  1. gas heaters
  2. wood fired heaters and decorative gas log fires
  3. gas cooking appliances
  4. barbecues, heat beads, and patio heaters
  5. indoor hot water services
  6. portable power generators
  7. car exhausts
  • Any gas appliance can become faulty. Energy Safe Victoria recommends that all gas heaters are serviced and tested at least once every two years by a licensed or registered gasfitter. Refer to the Energy Safe Victoria’s safety alert list for models of open-flued gas heaters that should be checked by a qualified gas fitter immediately.
  • Medical professionals should be aware of symptoms that could suggest carbon monoxide poisoning and follow the recommendations in this Advisory.

Read the full advisory: Carbon monoxide poisoning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *