Date issued: 16 December 2022
Issued by: Dr Danny Csutoros, Acting Deputy Chief Health Officer (Environment)
Issued to: Health professionals and Victorian community
- After a number of reported cases of possible food-related toxic reactions, people are advised not to consume ‘Riviera Farms’ branded baby spinach with an expiry date of 16 December 2022.
- The product is currently considered not safe to consume and should be discarded into the rubbish bin.
- Initial investigations suggest accidental contamination of the affected baby spinach product.
- Affected persons have developed unusual and severe symptoms including, nausea and vomiting, dry mouth, blurred vision, dilated pupils, rapid heartbeat, difficulty passing urine, hallucinations and confusion.
- Anyone concerned about exposure to this spinach product should contact Victorian Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26, and those with severe symptoms should call triple zero (000).
- The Victorian Department of Health is working closely with other jurisdictions to investigate and resolve this issue.
- Read the full Alert: Health alert for toxic reaction linked to spinach product.