HealthDate issued: 11 January 2023
Issued by: Associate Professor Deborah Friedman, Deputy Chief Health Officer (Communicable Disease)
Issued to: Health professionals and Victorian community
- Murray Valley encephalitis (MVE) virus has been detected in mosquitoes in northern Victoria this mosquito season.
- MVE virus can cause a rare but potentially serious infection of the central nervous system and is spread to humans by infected mosquitoes.
- Symptoms may include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting and muscle aches, although most infected people do not have symptoms. In serious cases, people can develop meningitis or encephalitis.
- Anyone with symptoms should seek urgent medical care.
- Clinicians should test for MVE virus and other mosquito-borne diseases in patients with a compatible illness.
- Clinicians should notify the Department of Health immediately of suspected cases by calling 1300 651 160.
- The risk of MVE virus infection and other mosquito-borne diseases is high this mosquito season. The best prevention is to protect against mosquito bites.
- Read the full alert: Murray Valley encephalitis virus detected in Victoria.