Health warning on monkeypox
Date issued: 18 October 2022 (update to 26 August 2022)
Issued by: Associate Professor Deborah Friedman, Deputy Chief Health Officer (Communicable Disease)
Issued to: Health professionals and the public
- Monkeypox (MPX) is continuing to spread in many countries, including New Zealand where community transmission has recently occurred.
- In Victoria, the risk of local transmission linked to international travel remains.
- Individuals at high risk for MPX are urged to be alert for the symptoms of MPX and take measures to protect themselves against infection.
- Clinicians should test for MPX in all patients presenting with compatible symptoms.
- The MPX vaccination rollout will be expanded when Victoria receives more doses of vaccine in late October.
- Read the full Alert: Health warning on monkeypox (MPX).