Date issued: 20 August 2022 (update to 5 August 2022)
Issued by: Associate Professor Deborah Friedman, Deputy Chief Health Officer Communicable Disease
Issued to: Health professionals and the public
- The number of people diagnosed with monkeypox in Victoria is increasing due to local transmission.
- Preventive measures including limiting sexual partners are very important for people who are not vaccinated.
- The Department of Health has access to the newer third generation smallpox vaccine to protect those most at risk.
- The existing vaccine supply has been largely rolled out through sexual health clinics in Victoria.
- The eligibility criteria and supply are however limited during August and September as we await a larger supply.
Read the full Alert: Health warning on monkeypox.