Date issued: 12 April 2023
Issued by: Professor Brett Sutton, Chief Health Officer
Issued to: Health professionals and consumers
- Poisonous mushrooms including Death Cap mushrooms and Yellow-staining mushrooms occur in Victoria during Autumn, as the weather becomes wetter and cooler.
- Consuming a Death Cap mushroom may result in death.
- Cooking, peeling or drying these mushrooms does not remove or inactivate the poison.
- There is no home test available to distinguish safe and edible mushrooms from poisonous mushrooms.
- Mushrooms purchased from a supermarket, greengrocer or other reputable source are safe to eat.
- Remove any mushrooms growing in home gardens as young children and pets can easily eat them.
- Read the full advisory.